SAP has released the new functionality for Asset Accounting in line with SAP Central Finance which is known as – Central Asset Accounting (CAA). It helps in achieving the goal of centralising the finance functions. Technically the asset data is not replicated in real time from ECC to S/4 rather the usage is that SAP S/4HANA CFIN system should be used as a single system for Asset accounting activities.
Product have some limitations and lots of ifs and buts however it is still helping in centralising the finance activities just like central payments and related features.
Lets get into details. Also note that all aspects may not be covered in one blog so I have added topics for next blog at last section.
- It is important to note that this is available only for S/4HANA 2021 or higher releases
- This should always be activated at the end of Fiscal year, so no mid-year go live
- All postings related to assets GLs which are stuck in AIF should be posted
- Asset Accounting (core FI component) should be fully configured and ready to use in SAP S/4HANA
Credit – SAP
- This activation can be done at company code level
- All postings related to Asset accounting should be blocked in source system for the relevant company code
- Only logistics integrated processes will be cross systems while Asset Accounting as a process will ONLY run in SAP S/4HANA
Steps to achieve this:
- Configure FI-AA component (fully) in SAP S/4HANA (CFIN system). SPRO – Financial Accounting – Asset Accounting
- Activate Central Asset Accounting for relevant company code(s)
- Stop postings in source system for Asset Accounting (see cross system process section for logistics integrated processes)
- Complete data migration of Asset Accounting – Master Data and values
- Repost the replicated Asset postings (if CFIN was already live)
Activate Central Asset Accounting
CFINIMG – Target System Settings – Central Asset Accounting – Activate Central Asset Accounting for Company Codes
Important to Note – Once Activated Central Asset Accounting CANNOT be deactivated
Reconcile Inconsistencies between the CFIN and source system
Migrate Historic Asset data – Master data and sub ledger values
Now the legacy Asset Accounting data needs to be transferred either manually or via LTMC/LTMOM
Before this step is taken it is important to take into consideration that the previous fiscal years for Asset Accounting is closed. It can’t be reopened. In case the transfer is at the end of the fiscal year, the transfer date is always the date at the end of the last closed fiscal year.
AuC data transfer can be done for partial or unsettled items . Also important to note the limitation that linkage with Investment measure is lost in the process of migration
- Via CFIN already the data is loaded at GL Level
- Via Data migration Asset Master data and Asset sub ledger data and GL data will be migrated
- GL data is duplicate now as its loaded in step 1 and step 2
- Reposting Program will adjust the duplication at GL data
So here step 1 is already live and step 2 is standard where data migration is done for Assets and that’s same in any SAP S/4HANA program greenfield implementation. This important function is the reposting program set up and execution
- Provide the reposting date per company code
CFINIMG: Central Finance: Target System Settings – Central Asset Accounting – Activate Central Asset Accounting for Company Codes
- Provide Document type for reposting
CFINIMG: Central Finance: Target System Settings – Central Asset Accounting – Repost Replicated Asset-Related Transactions – Define Document Type for Reposting Replicated Asset-Related Transactions
- Offsetting account set up
SPRO: Financial Accounting — Asset Accounting — Asset Data Transfer — Parameters for Data Transfer — Specify Offsetting Account for Legacy Data Transfer
- Run Reposting Tool
CFINIMG: Central Finance: Target System Settings –Central Asset Accounting — Repost Replicated Asset Related Transactions — Repost Replicated Asset Related Transactions
- Monitor Reposting program
CFINIMG: Central Finance: Target System Settings –Central Asset Accounting — Repost Replicated Asset Related Transactions — Repost Status monitor
There are still several points to be explored and detailed like:
- Cost Object mapping support for settlement scenarios
- Projects/WBS – Asset Settlement scenario
- Ledger and Currency setup to align CFIN and Asset Accounting
- Handling AuCs
- Logistics processes running cross systems like PO based acquisitions, clearing account based acquisitions, Asset sale, etc
I will share more details in my next blog as i am doing the proof of concept (PoC) . Also share your experience with this new evolving feature….
Okumaya devam et...